Tuesday, July 8, 2008

walk like an egyptian

that was my absolute favorite song from my childhood. every time it would come on the radio, i would have to stop whatever i was doing and start dancing. i am definitely a child of the 80s. even if i was in the car, i would ask mom to stop the car and let me out to dance. almost like chinese fire drill team. but, one thing you need to know about me is that i'm a horrible dancer. and i had to be in dance class when i was a little girl. ballet, tap, jazz. the whole nine. i hated ballet. i would rather eat glass chips than be in ballet. tap wasn't good either because my taps were never taps, they were more like thuds. and jazz was ok, but i had to wear lipstick, so i didn't like that at all. i was miserable. much like this little girl.


so i quit dance as fast as humanly possible. much to my brother's excitement because he was forced to sit through 3 hour long dance recitals just to watch me for 30 seconds look miserable on stage wearing a leotard that no human should ever be forced to wear.

i thought i was freed from my dancing woes, but then i got into my senior year of college and realized that i need one more kinesiology credit. i thought, no prob. i'll do anything. basketball, power walking, underwater basket weaving, whatever. but guess what class was the ONLY one that was open? intro to ballet. 

leotard required. 

i was devastated. but i had to do it. so i did it. i stuck out like a sore thumb. i was the girl who walked like a basketball player among little graceful girls who walked lightly. my teacher kept yelling at me: lindsey, walk lightly. i would respond with anger "these feet are incapable of walking lightly." anyway, i almost failed the class, but because i put alot of heart and effort into it, i came out with a C. 

i would even practice my moves for hours in a great hall with wood floors. i was still horrible. no amount of practice would reverse the fact that i was like a giant elephant in a china cabinet.

so why am i telling you all this? well, the one dance i loved when i was a little lassie, was when i got to dance to my favorite song walk like an egyptian. i owned that dance. or at least it felt like i owned it. i was probably a disgrace to the entire dance community, but i felt good about my performance. 

well guess what? i will be walking like an egyptian again! yup, that's right! i'm headed to egypt this friday and i'll be there until the 21st and i couldn't be more excited! i will definitely blog all about my experiences, so stay tuned. but for now, i'll just tell you about the awesome things i'll get to do while i'm there!

lead worship, give a concert in english where everyone might blankly stare at me because they mostly only know arabic, tour the nile river, enjoy sweet fellowship with believers in cairo, hang out with university students at a youth conference, visit the biggest evangelical church in the middle east, visit the oldest mosque in the islamic world, visit the pyramids and the sphinx, and my favorite part: ministry to the kids in the orphanage, as well as painting a garbage dump community, shopping in the old market of khan al khalily, stopping by paris on a layover, 20 hours on a plane to contemplate life and why clouds exist, and finally, attending a sudanese refugee meeting. 

wow. i can't wait! if you think about it, you can pray for me and the team as we walk like egyptians, and more importantly walk like Jesus. 

5 comments:

Darla said...

sorry, this is where i say i will pray for you in Egypt. :)

Melissa. said...

Beautiful writing, Lindsey! I'll be praying. My friend Lindsay (ironically enough) just got back from a trip with a 14 hours plane ride. she was telling me how people stood up to not sit, but there was no where to go, so they just stood awkwardly. Take a picture of that, please.

Tara said...

I am so excited for you. Being on the receiving end of your worship services at She Speaks, I know the people you minister to will be touched and changed. I have your CD in my car and I apparently listened to "Amazed" one too many times for my 5-year-old who piped up from the backseat, "How many times are you gonna play this song?" I told him 'til he was gray! :) Have an awesome trip and I can't wait to read about your experiences. Vaya con Dios y portate bien.
Love, Tara
http://tabletwenty.blogspot.com

Papa Steve said...

OK, not gonna be the most spiritual response, but thanks for getting "dah dah dah dah dah - dut dah dah dah dah - walk like an e-gyp-tian" stuck in my head.

justagirl said...

I know you wrote this forever ago...
anyhoo, I too had a horrific college ballet experience...except that the horrors of ballet shouldn't have been new to me, I took it most of my life. So when I saw that ballet was even an option for a class as credit in college I was like "yes please" except where I went to college the woman who taught the class took her job a little too seriously and would often walk by and pat my stomache and ask if I had just had lunch (PS this class was pre lunch). I have not done a single plie since.