Thursday, July 24, 2008

egypt experience (girls orphanage)

in addition to visiting and worshipping with the sudanese refugee church, another one of my favorite times in cairo was our trip to the girls' orphanage. i love love love orphans and they have always occupied a special place in my heart. after all, James 1:27 tells us that pure and undefiled religion (worship) is visiting orphans and widows in their time of need. so it was incredible to get to take part in what God calls pure and undefiled worship. especially me being a "worship leader." i really felt like i was leading true worship as i sang for these beautiful gals. i could see the princess in each of them, even if society had tossed them aside. i could see the reflection of Christ in each one. when we got to the orphanage, the gals were a little intimidated by us. every girl i walked up to ran from me! which broke my heart because all i wanted to do was love on them. so finally, after like the 5th girl ran from me (apparently i was wearing an "i'm a scary american" tshirt or something) i decided to sit down at a table and simply pray. i was like, "God, hell-o, you know all i want to do is love on these gals so please provide one or two for me to pour out Your love onto!" before my prayer was even over, a little girl came up very confidently and sat down right next to me at the table. she tapped me on the shoulder, smiled, and matter-of-factly said, "i love you." it was the sweetest sound to my ears. the broken english of an egyptian orphan telling me that she loved me! it was like God turned the tables and showed me a glimpse of His love for me. and that this trip wouldn't just be about what i did for people, but what they did for me, as well. i was ministered to, sometimes even more than i ministered. here's a pic of my sweet new friend making a silly face at me when i started rapping in english. they got a big kick out of that. 

after singing Titanic 9 times, literally and i exaggerate not, i sat down next to the gal who kept requesting that i sing "my heart will go on" - of which i know like one verse to. but i couldn't disappoint her. i would sing it and she would say "again" so i took about 30 minutes singing the same song. and they couldn't get enough of it! so, celine, your presence and influence extends even to egypt. after i performed the celine dion side concert, this sweet girl offered to paint my nails. there are two things that i never do: 1. get my nails painted and 2. run unless i'm being chased. but i felt like i should definitely let her. it was her way to love on me. so i sat down and she got out her professional kit of manicure stuff and she gave me the works: french manicure with a heart and cross and every other finger. it was actually a very nice looking manicure. and it was so interesting, for once, to hear arabic instead of an asian dialect when getting my nails done. i always love getting my toes done at the asian place near my house. by the way, if you want a good laugh today, check out this hilarious youtube.com video from comedian anjelah johnson. just search youtube.com for "nail salon - anjelah johnson - comedy time"

here's another picture of me and my sweet friend who said "i love you"... isn't she adorable? my favorite part was that i think i had that tshirt in elementary school back in the 80s. small world! 

to the girls at the orphanage: near, far, wherever you are... my heart will go on

3 comments:

Melissa. said...

I'm stoked you posted! What an fun story. I love it!

Darla said...

amazing... i love it.

Michelle :) said...

aw. that gave me goose bumps. not Celine- but the knowledge of just how much God worked in their hearts and yours! I wanna see a close up of those nails!