Wednesday, June 25, 2008

what a coincidence!

so there i was at the gas pump the other day, which i frequently visit these days, unfortunately! summers are crazy and require me to drive miles upon miles and then more miles. i even drove 7 hours to a camp last week! good thing i just had XM radio installed for my bday. otherwise, it could've gotten ugly. i might have even started hallucinating flying camels basket-weaving or something crazy like that. 

i have this obsession, or challenge really, where i love to fill my car up and try and make the dollars be exactly to the whole number. meaning, i don't like 100.50, i will try and get it to stop at 100 and so on. but no matter how hard i try, i can't ever get it. it's always like 1 cent over. it's very damaging to my sense of accomplishment.

but i keep trying and everytime i get a little closer, which gives me hope. 

but then last month, i finally hit the jackpot. i was half-way expecting gold coins to pour out of the pump as well. i stopped randomly (without even trying) on $75. i thought, WOW! that was amazing. i wasn't even trying and it stopped right on the money, literally. so i drove off, patting myself on the back for my amazing feat. 

then about 3 days later i filled up again. and much to my surprise, it was $75 again! what? are you kidding me! i thought, this is too crazy, this is amazing! after 10 years of trying to get the pump right down to the penny on .00, i get exactly $75 two times in a row! i figured God's favor was just with me. i thought, what a coincidence!

then, 3 days later i go to fill up again. yep, you guessed it. $75 again! in my stupidity, i actually thought "WOW! this is amazing!" and then it dawned on me that the odds of that actually happening for like the odds of me marrying mel gibson. so i sat down, perplexed in my car, and a little depressed that i'd already filled up 3 times in one week... and i realized that it wasn't a coincidence! i'm actually an idiot! the pump is automatically shutting off at $75. 

no wonder my car never got filled up the whole way. for some reason, i just kept missing it. then i thought, wow, you know gas prices are bad when you can't even fill your car up all the way. ouch, cutting me off at $75 each time i fill up the ol' car. i keep thinking, if only i could sell my car. but its the only car that's big enough to haul around all my music stuff! 

is anyone out there trying to get a car to run off coffee? because i sure function great off coffee.

2 comments:

Melissa. said...

Amazing! Pumps in CA don't have a stop, I don't think. Haha. That's because Gas is 5 bucks a gallon...Sheesh.

Darla said...

ha ha. yea. i do this too. and ours stop on 75 as well. of course, i'm in texas too. if cars could run on coffee, we'd all be in better shape.