Wednesday, May 28, 2008

pilates/yoga background vocals


so there i was... in pain, in utter embarrassment, in disbelief. why was i there? why was i allowing someone to tell me how to twist my body in ways it was never intended to twist? was this a modern day twister game for adults? why does everyone else say this is so great and why does no one else look like they're about to die from sheer pain and discomfort.

i went to a yoga/pilates class today.

i even went to target and bought a yoga mat. as if i even knew what one looked like. i asked someone and they took me on a tour of the yoga aisle. i picked out the cheapest one and headed to the check out counter. i felt so cool. until i actually went to the class.

one of the worst decisions of my life. i've always liked the idea of yoga. it's alot like running. i so long to run but i can't and it just plain hurts. in fact, i don't run unless i'm being chased. so i decided, well maybe i'll try yoga. how hard can it really be? sure, i can't touch my toes, but oh well! i'll probably be good at it.

no, i'm horrible. i was the worst in the class. for the betterment of everyone's life, the instructor should've kicked me out. not only did i look like an awkward ape trapped in a tennis ball, but my face winced in pain with each new position. down dog? really? more like ouch dog. more like "where is the basketball court? why am i trying to touch my nose to my heels?" 

then she asked us to do a back bend. ya right. i elected not to tell her that i was basically asked to leave gymnastics when i was younger because i was the only kid in the class that couldn't master the back bend. all the memories came rushing back. my eyes welled up with tears. not because of the awful memories, but because literally my hamstrings were revolting against me. i was the only one who didn't try the backbend. and i had no shame. i wasn't scared. i was born to look silly like this. i happened to like offering a spectacle for all to look at. the other people in the class were slightly entertained. 

it reminded me of when i was forced to take a ballet class in college. mandatory attire: leotard. i'm not kidding. it was humiliating. i almost failed.

so then, just when i thought it couldn't get any worse, the instructor started singing along with the music. i've had instructors do this before, but typically only one word would slip out and usually they were on  key. not this gal. nope. couldn't carry a tune in a coach purse with a hypoallergenic dog in it. and she was singing and didn't stop. then on the 3rd song she actually tried harmonizing with the track. she knew no shame. i realized we weren't that different. there i was trying to be a yoga expert and there she was trying to sing. it was a perfect picture of how fun it is to try new things. but it was painful to listen to. and needless to say, i'm sure i was painful to look at. she's probably blogging about me right now. who knows!

but it was a blast. well, by that i mean, the "blast" part was when i got home and threw my brand new yoga mat in the trash can. good thing trash day is tomorrow. 

yoga = not fun for me

but i just might persevere because i know flexibility is important. and i still love the idea of being a yoga girl. here's to you, background vocal singing yoga instructor! maybe i'll come back to your class. also, i might just hire you to sing bgv's for me. only if you let me shadow your class someday. it could be a match made in heaven.


5 comments:

Melissa. said...

hah. "I only run when I'm being Chased." I hear walking is better for you. Today I went running and got dizzy and didn't have a phone a mile from home. God made me walk. I listened to 'Graditude' bu Nicole Nordeman. Glorious!
Running's not that great. Yoga kicked my butt once, too.Just don't do what I do: set the homepage to womenshealthmag.com That'll make you more intimidated about getting in shape than just about anything. Thanks for the smiles. Grace and Peace!

Tamara said...

Lindsey,

We so enjoyed meeting you, and having you lead us in worship at Parkhills. So many things that God led you to share ministered to my husband and I, right where we are. Your sweet personality and voice were delightful, but the testimony you shared of God's grace and the things He is teaching you were a special blessing to us.

Just read on BooMama's blog that you were at SheSpeaks. How fun! I know you were a blessing there, as well!

Rachel Olsen said...

Hey Lindsey,

Just wanted to say thanks for coming to She Speaks and being so completely darlin' and so completely cool. I see God through you when you lead worship.

Oh, and sorry I failed to introduce myself properly when we first met - I just stared at your mouth a moment and said, "Do you have any lipstick I can use?"

Good fodder for your weird-things-that-happen-to-me posts, but where were my southern manners? You see, I'm hopelessly bad at keeping up with my lipstick which is not good seeing that I'm also pretty vain and I was due to lead a session in just a few minutes. At least you giggled at me instead of looking horrified ... which was very kind of you.

Thanks again for sharing your talents and your fun self with us. ~ Rachel

PS. If the yoga thing doesn't work out, come take a belly-dancing class with me. No mats required. We'll go to Starbucks afterwards and you can tell all about the time you stole money from Sandy.

Melissa. said...

I miss posts. Really.

Tara said...

I was at She Speaks and, girl, you are anointed. I am the Biology Teacher whom you saw at DFW.
May God continue to bless your music and your ministry. My two and a half year old LOVES dancing to "Amazing".