Tuesday, April 1, 2008

april fools day blunders

so there i was having lunch with a friend back in college on april fools day my freshman year. my goal was to somehow fool everyone i came in contact with that day, in some way. unfortunately i picked the wrong person to play an april fools joke on.

we started talking over lunch and she asked me about my parents. i told her my mom was martha stewart's assistant (not true) and that my dad was in prison (not true either). he's actually a very Godly attorney. for some reason i thought these would be obvious non-true statements and that somehow that would be a fun april fools comment. 

but right after i told her my dad was in prison, she places her hand on my arm in a lovingly empathetic way and says, almost through tears, "so is my dad. i totally know how you feel." the worst part was, she wasn't kidding. no april fools joke here. she was being completely serious and heart-felt and i felt like the biggest jerk in the entire free world. instead of jumping on the table and yelling "ha ha! april fools" i realized that wouldn't be the best approach to get out of this friend dog house.

so i humbly and repentantly say, "omigosh, i'm so sorry. i was joking." and thus, i started trying to dig myself out of a hole. it went horribly and needless to say that gal never wanted to eat lunch with me ever! 

so what have we learned here blog readers? even for april fools, be honest :) or it could get you in big trouble. 

i invite anyone who has a fun april fools day blunder to post it as a comment! 

4 comments:

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

Awww, man..That's the worst. I think I would have kept letting her believe my dad was in jail. :)

I have a friend whose dad was in prison for most of his childhood. His mom always told him his dad was in college. They'd load up every Sunday to go visit him at the 'university'. Isn't that a scream?

Melissa. said...

I stopped breathing at that post. :(
It was kind of an uneventful April Fools day. National Athiest Day, though...

hiding it well said...

My friend Wendy totally punks me every year. This year's punk centered around a story about how I had hurt another chick's feelings, thus making it completely believable. When she finished, I asked, "Wendy, what should I do?" Her reply, "If I were you, I'd start with not being so gullible."

Diana the drumbunny said...

Lindsey,
ok sarcasm, wit, humor, all gifts, so when do we get to see your book?here is a potential title.
"Pummelled with laughter, 5 minutes a day with the court jester"or
"How I spent my summer vacation,
episodes from the road with Lindsey", oh the possibilities are endless. " Gabby's girl gets giggly." Lindsey Loves lolly"gagging"
around Texas. Give me time and I'll think of a really "authentic one". Love you,
Diana the drumbunny