Thursday, March 27, 2008

I finally caved in...

so there i was today having coffee with a good friend of mine, vicki courtney. an hour later she had convinced me to take on the internet sport of blogging. at first, i was hesitant because i thought "who on earth would want to read what i have to say?" and then i was sold. too many hilarious, random, and awkward things happen to me to keep them to myself. thus, the birth of my blog which will be entitled "so there i was..." because this is how all good stories start anyway. 

first blog entry, i have decided to dedicate to my dog, gabby. most people blog about their kids and since i'm without child for the moment (and many future moments), i will blog about my pup. who we will refer to from here on out as the gabster. 

so there i was singing at a nursing home in austin... i try and hang out with nursing home peeps on as much of a weekly basis as possible. i started doing this because i realized that pure and undefiled worship is caring/visiting orphans and widows. so if i'm a worship leader, i should probably tap into this. so i go and hang out with the predominantly widowed residents at the nursing homes. i sing for an hour and its a bunch of fun. at first none of them could hear me so of course i started bringing amplification. now some of them think its too loud, but ya just can't please everyone. so i do my best. 

but one day i was encouraged by the director to bring the gabster. i was told she could hang out in the patio area where no residents would be. so i stuck her out there with her favorite toys and some water, like every good dog mom does. 

little did i know, but one of the residents who we will call herbert, decided to venture out onto the patio. unbeknownst to him, gabby was waiting with bated breath for a new friend. herbert strolled out there accompanied by his walker hoping to enjoy a quiet afternoon alone with the trees. what he didn't know is that his walker would be gabby's new obsession.

what is on the bottom of walkers? yes, two bright shiny and new tennis balls. chaos ensued. gabby decided that those would be her new toys. she mischievously runs up to herbert and steals the tennis balls off his walker. must i say that herbert was definitely off his rocker, so to speak, at this point due to the anger? 

so herbert is freaking out trying to chase my dog down, but he can't "chase" because the walker doesn't move without the tennis balls. so he runs in place and gabby runs all over the patio so proud of her new accomplishment. he yells at her over and over again calling gabby an assortment of names she hasn't heard often. she could not be stopped, however. thankfully some of the staff came outside to wrangle in the prodigal puppy. the balls were recovered and given back to their rightful, yet perturbed owner. 

spiritual application: at this point, you are just supposed to hopefully get a laugh out of this. the spiritual application may come later or it may not. disclaimer: not all blogs will have specific spiritual undertones. after all, everything is spiritual right? but suffice it to say that herbert is no worse for the wear, gabby is a happy puppy, and i'm an embarrassed yet blogful mother. 


13 comments:

Darlene said...

Heyy Ms K ,

thanks for sharing this amusing lil story ....it has brought a smile to my face ...I love it !!!!
Welcome to the blogging world and i look forward to hearing more about your lil puppy and the fun ya'll have !! God Bless , Darlene

Vicki Courtney said...

what, i'm not your first official comment? okay, so i laughed even hearing the story again. welcome to the blogosphere, friend. can't wait to hear more...

Unknown said...

Lindsey...I am so excited about reading your blogs. I learn from you everyday and enjoy your music. You can teach us old folks some new stuff. Look forward to seeing you in Horse Cave soon.

Jess said...

i'm excited to read more from you. i just recently found you on myspace...and went out and bought your cd, which i love. thus, my excitement for reading ur blogs. :)

Anna said...

Love the blog :) It's fun reading what goes on in other people's lives. You have a fun writing style. I love your music - it always speaks to my heart. I found you on myspace. I actually just started a blog this week too! You should check it out - sixstringepiamk.blogspot.com

Jenn said...

awesome!! love ur blog! welcome to blogging. ck out my pg sometime...

http://flowersfadetruthremains.blogspot.com/

Blessings!
Jenn

Brett W. Marlowe said...

Thanks for sharing this hilarious story, Lindsey! I'm glad you finally took up the e-sport of blogging and look forward to reading more. By the way, the Gabster is growing up so fast, what are you feeding him?? Blessings, Brett

Katie said...

Welcome my new blogging friend! It's good to see that you finally caved and joined in on all the fun! Miss seeing you and hanging out. Hope all is well. ~katie

katie2china.blogspot.com

Mindy Rives said...

Welcome to the blog world friend! I just starting blogging last month...it's so addicting. I'm loving it!

www.mindyrives.blogspot.com

Hope you're doing well!!

Mindy Rives

D.O. said...

Well you must be doing something right... lots of comments going on around here, and I'm sure there will be plenty to come.

I'm going to subscribe to "So there I was..." and see how it goes. I make no promises. You're gonna have to bring your A game girl... And you should allow non-blogger/open id people to comment... if you want.

Vicki Courtney said...

oh, i meant to mention in my last comment that the gabster is way cuter than that golden we saw at starbucks. hands down. or paws down.

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

so glad vicki spread the blog bug to you, lindsey...

not to discourage you or anything, but it really is a sickness..

but girl..if loving blogs is wrong, i don't wanna be right! :))

great to meet you!

Lisa

Melissa. said...

Very nice. You've got a fair amount of comments, so at least someone reads it! More than I can say, but a joy to see!
I look forward to more stories.